Blood Orange Posset
Note: The redder blood oranges will give you the best colour to make this dessert the pretty shade of blush, I had to cut a few open to choose the brightest ones.
- 300ml double cream
- 70g caster sugar
- 90ml blood orange juice, about 2 small oranges
- Zest of one blood orange
- Zest both your oranges and keep about half the zest aside to make your shortbread later.
- Add the zest from one orange to the cream and caster sugar in a small saucepan, bring to the boil stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- Take off the heat, squeeze your oranges and whisk the juice into the hot cream mixture.
- Strain through a sieve into a jug to remove the zest, pour the mixture into your chosen jars or glasses.
- Leave to cool to room temperature then cover with clingfilm and chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
Orange Shortbread Hearts
Makes 20 small biscuits
- Zest of 1 blood orange
- 225g plain flour
- A pinch of flakey sea salt
- 100g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 150g unsalted butter at room temperature
- To make the shortbread, preheat the oven to 160°C fan oven.
- Place the flour, caster sugar and salt in a food processor, pulse to combine, add the diced butter and orange zest and process until it begins to clump together in a dough. You can also do this by hand if you wish by rubbing the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingertips then bringing together until you have a crumbly dough.
- Been as the dough is quite crumbly I put it between two sheets of greaseproof paper and gently roll it out until it’s about 1cm thick. Put the dough with the paper still on it onto a baking tray and chill it for about half hour or until firm. Once the dough is firm remove the top piece of paper and use it to line a baking tray, cut out your shapes, my heart cutter was about 5cm but you can use any shape you like, just remember if it is a bigger cutter you may need to bake them slightly longer. Space out on the baking tray, re-roll the scraps of dough and cut out some more.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 18-20 minuets or until the edges are lightly golden. Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack, sprinkle with caster sugar while still warm.
Shortbread will keep for a week in an airtight container.