- 200g of brioche, sliced
- Softened butter for spreading
- Jam for spreading, I like the Bonne maman rhubarb and strawberry
- 2 free range eggs
- 400g single cream
- 20g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla paste
- Demarara for sprinkling
- Thickly slice your brioche, butter one side of the bread followed by a layer of jam. Cut each slice into 4 triangles and arrange them nicely in your 4 bowls or alternatively use one larger dish.
- To make your custard mix just whisk the eggs, cream, vanilla paste and brown sugar together, carefully pour over your slices of bread. At this point it’s good to leave it soak up all the custard mixture so pop it in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 180c (170c fan oven)/ gas mark 4 with a baking tray in ready to place to bowls on. Before you bake sprinkle your puddings generously with some demarara sugar, and put in the oven to bake on the baking tray for about 20 mins or 30-35 mins if using a larger dish. It’s ok if it’s still a little squidgy in the middle after you take it out, leave them to cool slightly for around 5 -10 mins and it will carry on setting with the residual heat.
- Serve with whatever you like, I usually have mine with more cream.